Lord Stanley by Sydney Marsh
Vancouver, British Columbia
Stanley Park is named for Lord Stanley of Preston, Governor General of Canada in 1888 when the park was officially opened.
The Stanley Cup, notably the oldest trophy competed for by professional athletes in North America, was donated in 1892 by Lord Stanley. He purchased the trophy for 10 Guineas ($50.00 at that time) to be presented to "the championship hockey club of the Dominion of Canada." The first team ever awarded the Stanley Cup was the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association in 1893.